Dishonest Underhand Policies Of P&o

We have booked many cruises on P&O always using Bolsover. In December 2013 we booked on J407 which sails 16th June
We booked a "Select" i,e, Full Price fare in an EA Balcony cabin and paid £1779 each and got £50 per person OBC. (Plus some extra Future deposit OBC)
I was content to know that if the price was subsequently reduced to new passengers  I would get extra OBC to compensate.

In February 2014 I noticed that P&O were offering a better deal on the Select Price but they had not informed us or kept their promise to give us extra OBC .  P&O's argument was that they had increased the price by £40 so didn't need to compensate us even though they had upped the OBC to new passengers from £50 to £200 each. Bolsover took this up for me and the outcome was that we rebooked in February 2014 as agreed and paid £1819 each in the same EA Balcony Cabin and got £200 per person OBC.
At the time I was happy. I got £300 more OBC for a payment of £80.

Now however I have looked again at P&P's website prices and found that whilst the current select price is still £1819 the  offer to new bookings is £440 per person OBC which in total is £480 more than we received when we rebooked
I am livid about this and have contacted Bolsover who were sympathetic but couldn't speak to the correct department at P&O on a Sunday.

We all know prices can change and we have to accept that but in my world a promise is a promise and my word is my bond. What P&O are doing is reducing the price in such a way as in their opinion avoids the obligation they have to me. In my view that's dishonest, immoral and a corrupt way of doing business. This is not the fault of Bolsover who have always been great with us.

I am waiting for a call back later today (Monday) but the shine has well and truly gone from our forthcoming cruise

If I do not get satisfaction from P&P I WILL pursue this through the small claims court and I shall also contact Watchdog on the BBC.

This P&O policy is an outrage.

John

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many cruise lines operate exactly the same pricing policy as P&O, Cunard for example are one of them as are Princess Cruises and many other lines under the Carnival umbrella.  Royal Caribbean, Cel

In my mind you pay what the price is at the time of your booking end of story or wait till the last minute and pay that fare and receive what is on offer then IMO

Hi john, I'm sorry to hear about your current grievances with P&O and I hope you do reach a satisfactory outcome but I'm afraid I do agree with Solent Richard on this.  Your saying that the cruise

We had a similar problem last year. I booked two cruises,both select fares, one for Feb 2014 and one for Jan 2015. After emailing various people and speaking to Bolsover we had the same reply as you.

Unfortunately we were unable to cancel and rebook as the cabin grade we had booked for 2014 was full and the cruise for 2015 was full. I was not a happy bunny, but despite an email to 'the boss' was not offered anything. I did however receive an email from customer services explaining that as the cruises had increased in price the extra OBC was less than the increases, but I couldn't check their maths as the 2015 cruise was no longer showing on the P&O website.

I did not let it spoil our cruise but had to file it away under 'you win some, you lose some'!!

Molly

Guest Solent Richard

We have booked many cruises on P&O always using Bolsover. In December 2013 we booked on J407 which sails 16th June
We booked a "Select" i,e, Full Price fare in an EA Balcony cabin and paid £1779 each and got £50 per person OBC. (Plus some extra Future deposit OBC)
I was content to know that if the price was subsequently reduced to new passengers  I would get extra OBC to compensate.

In February 2014 I noticed that P&O were offering a better deal on the Select Price but they had not informed us or kept their promise to give us extra OBC .  P&O's argument was that they had increased the price by £40 so didn't need to compensate us even though they had upped the OBC to new passengers from £50 to £200 each. Bolsover took this up for me and the outcome was that we rebooked in February 2014 as agreed and paid £1819 each in the same EA Balcony Cabin and got £200 per person OBC.

At the time I was happy. I got £300 more OBC for a payment of £80.

Now however I have looked again at P&P's website prices and found that whilst the current select price is still £1819 the  offer to new bookings is £440 per person OBC which in total is £480 more than we received when we rebooked

I am livid about this and have contacted Bolsover who were sympathetic but couldn't speak to the correct department at P&O on a Sunday.

We all know prices can change and we have to accept that but in my world a promise is a promise and my word is my bond. What P&O are doing is reducing the price in such a way as in their opinion avoids the obligation they have to me. In my view that's dishonest, immoral and a corrupt way of doing business. This is not the fault of Bolsover who have always been great with us.

I am waiting for a call back later today (Monday) but the shine has well and truly gone from our forthcoming cruise

If I do not get satisfaction from P&P I WILL pursue this through the small claims court and I shall also contact Watchdog on the BBC.

This P&O policy is an outrage.

John

Good morning John.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here which may or may not save you a bob or two.

If, as you accept, the P&O 'basic price did rise' surely then the increase in On Board Credit (OBC) will be explained by P&O as an incentive: and therefore not subject to any price promise

You have not mentioned any other benefits you may or may not have received like Free Parking etc.

It's also a shame that your first post on the Forum is a rant - just my opinion of course.

Good morning John.

IYou have not mentioned any other benefits you may or may not have received like Free Parking etc.

It's also a shame that your first post on the Forum is a rant - just my opinion of course.

We received no extra benefits above those that were included in the original fare. I am not complaining about the difference in "Saver fares"

You obviously have a different view of honesty and fairness to myself. In any event P&O have already accepted that I have a point as a precedence when 

they rebooked the cruise in February

Your last point is laughable. Did you want me to first post a message about how much I love P&O and their faultless service. Well sorry but I don't feel like that right now and that's why I joined the forum.

Guest Solent Richard

We received no extra benefits above those that were included in the original fare. I am not complaining about the difference in "Saver fares"

You obviously have a different view of honesty and fairness to myself. In any event P&O have already accepted that I have a point as a precedence when 

they rebooked the cruise in February

Your last point is laughable. Did you want me to first post a message about how much I love P&O and their faultless service. Well sorry but I don't feel like that right now and that's why I joined the forum.

Good morning again John.

You miss my point. On Board Credit is an incentive that is changeable and is therefore, to the best of my knowledge, not part of a contract or any price guarantee.

As I said in my original response, I am playing the Devil's Advocate.

Good luck in the Small Claims Court. I have a sneaking suspicion you will need it.

Guest Solent Richard

Well said John it's time someone stood up to p and o we have been cruising with them since the canberra days  seems like once they have your money they move the goalposts good luck keep us informed

I hope so too.

Guest Solent Richard

Time alone will tell.

Guest shilly3191

Whatever anybody says it is another way round the very similar problems they had with the fiasco and shambles of a policy of Vantage. P&O IMO treat their customers with total contempt and even after a change of senior management and "we have listened" they are doing virtually the same tricks to their loyal customers. Just to prove a point I recently booked a heavily reduced brochure price cruise with Princess of £899 pp choice of cabin and dinner sitting with a OBC of $185 they then some weeks later reduced price to £869pp and increased OBC to $385. A phone call to my TA and they then phoned Princess and within 48hrs received new invoice with new reduced price and increased OBC if Princess can do that as part of Carnival why cannot P&O and stop doing their silly underhand policies on their cruisers.

We had a similar problem last year. I booked two cruises,both select fares, one for Feb 2014 and one for Jan 2015. After emailing various people and speaking to Bolsover we had the same reply as you.

Unfortunately we were unable to cancel and rebook as the cabin grade we had booked for 2014 was full and the cruise for 2015 was full. I was not a happy bunny, but despite an email to 'the boss' was not offered anything. I did however receive an email from customer services explaining that as the cruises had increased in price the extra OBC was less than the increases, but I couldn't check their maths as the 2015 cruise was no longer showing on the P&O website.

I did not let it spoil our cruise but had to file it away under 'you win some, you lose some'!!

Molly

We had almost exactly the same scenario. We booked a cruise in March 2014 and one in January 2015. We also couldn't rebook as the cabin grade we had booked was full for both cruises. I also received an email from customer services telling me the cruises had increased in price by more than the extra OBC and just like you I was unable to check so I had to take their word for it. It's annoying but no point in letting it spoil things. I always book as soon as the cruises become available but I'm really considering waiting in future.

Hi john, I'm sorry to hear about your current grievances with P&O and I hope you do reach a satisfactory outcome but I'm afraid I do agree with Solent Richard on this.  Your saying that the cruise line hasn't been honest but they have.  I've encountered a similar thing before and like many on this thread have stated, you often have to grit your teeth and get on with it.  The fact is that when you book a select price cruise, if the price changes under that offer then yes they're required to do something, much like the old vantage as someone mentioned earlier but in this case the price hasn't changed, it actually went up as you mentioned. Its only the obc that has changed ans as richard pointed out this is an incentive, which can be changed and altered at any point.  While to you this changes the overall value package of the holiday, P&O are not actually breaking any terms and conditions they have set.  They haven't been dishonest in terms of that at all.

My advice, for future, and this is just my opinion, I mean no offence by it, but just book a holiday you like the look of and then just look forward to it.  When I book something, I do it on the basis that I'm happy with the price and the holiday I'm booking, otherwise I wouldn't book it.  Once it's booked, it's booked and unless I'm receiving a notification a few days later telling me it's gone down in price by a substantial amount then I'm happy. 

The message from all cruise lines is simple now.  If you want to gty your cabin number, dining preferences etc, book early, take the price and whatever benefit their may be and go for it but if you dont and your flexible with dates, then wait for a later offer and you'll probably get the cruise quite a lot cheaper.  It's not something that's new or just sneaking up on people, it's been clear for a while now.  

As I said before, I really do hope you find a satisfactory outcome for you on this issue but I am not surprised that P&O have come back to you and said they will not do anything on it as technically they've done nothing from what I've been reading but change an incentive which is their freedom to do so.  

Welcome to the site John…

Sorry to hear of your problems but I suspect a lot of P & O cruisers have been caught out over the past with this sort of thing I know I have but sometimes it is swings and roundabouts as I have also benefitted in the past by doing late bookings. They always offer last minute incentives if the cruises aren't selling well and unfortunately it is just one of those things.

I hope that you have a brilliant cruise…  :)

Guest shilly3191

The trouble is that there are far too many British cruisers who will not cruise with anyone else other than P&O either because of fear of unknown, never cruised with other cruiselines so dont know how good or bad P&O are and for those reasons and the fact that majority will not complain and will put up with anything and thats why they sail with P&O and P&O know it that is why they treat customers like they do and get away with it.

The trouble is that there are far too many British cruisers who will not cruise with anyone else other than P&O either because of fear of unknown, never cruised with other cruiselines so dont know how good or bad P&O are and for those reasons and the fact that majority will not complain and will put up with anything and thats why they sail with P&O and P&O know it that is why they treat customers like they do and get away with it.

Many cruise lines operate exactly the same pricing policy as P&O, Cunard for example are one of them as are Princess Cruises and many other lines under the Carnival umbrella.  Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America, you name any cruise line, they all will operate a policy where a price is covered by complete terms and conditions.  All cruise lines will surely reserve the right to reduce pricing closer to the time of a cruise otherwise if it isn't selling, the ships will sail with empty cabins meaning even more problems for the cruise lines.  I don't think its a problem with P&O Cruises, more of an issue with the overall industry these days but you will not find a cruise line that will honour a price change every single time they offer a new onboard credit deal or any other incentive, otherwise they would be inundated with calls and refunding every passenger left right and centre.

There's a lot of negative comments on the forum of late, such as money scams on board and a lot of criticising of cruise lines - often P&O but they're actually doing things in exactly the same way as many other cruise lines.  I've sailed with many different cruise lines but still enjoy a P&O Cruise.  We all enjoy what we enjoy.  The forum should be more about helping each other with questions, chatting about what we like on board, favourite foods etc, dining rooms, ports but instead of late its been filled with negative topics.  Let's all enjoy cruising rather than criticise it, it's a holiday after all!

Many cruise lines operate exactly the same pricing policy as P&O, Cunard for example are one of them as are Princess Cruises and many other lines under the Carnival umbrella.  Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America, you name any cruise line, they all will operate a policy where a price is covered by complete terms and conditions.  All cruise lines will surely reserve the right to reduce pricing closer to the time of a cruise otherwise if it isn't selling, the ships will sail with empty cabins meaning even more problems for the cruise lines.  I don't think its a problem with P&O Cruises, more of an issue with the overall industry these days but you will not find a cruise line that will honour a price change every single time they offer a new onboard credit deal or any other incentive, otherwise they would be inundated with calls and refunding every passenger left right and centre.

There's a lot of negative comments on the forum of late, such as money scams on board and a lot of criticising of cruise lines - often P&O but they're actually doing things in exactly the same way as many other cruise lines.  I've sailed with many different cruise lines but still enjoy a P&O Cruise.  We all enjoy what we enjoy.  The forum should be more about helping each other with questions, chatting about what we like on board, favourite foods etc, dining rooms, ports but instead of late its been filled with negative topics.  Let's all enjoy cruising rather than criticise it, it's a holiday after all!

Sorry Sammy..I for one can't agree..if someone has a problem it should be able to be aired..otherwise the forum just becomes all sweetness and light. And as long as any discussion stays within the bounds of the rules then anything should be allowed.

Also it might save one else from making the same mistake as the OP.

That's life..good and bad, shade and light.

I

Sorry Sammy..I for one can't agree..if someone has a problem it should be able to be aired..otherwise the forum just becomes all sweetness and light. And as long as any discussion stays within the bounds of the rules then anything should be allowed.

Also it might save one else from making the same mistake as the OP.

That's life..good and bad, shade and light

For my previous post Terminator, I apologise, as I've not made my point very clearly, rather just rambled on.  I agree with you that the forum should be a place where problems and frustrations are aired but I was merely saying their had been a lot of that lately and anyone would think cruising wasn't actually that fun at all  :) .  

I definitely don't want the forum to become all "sweetness and light" as you say, otherwise its all false and boring and I agree we all have a right to our opinions.  I'm simply expressing mine.  I feel a lot of cruise lines have come in for some flack of late when I actually think many cruise lines provide a holiday that is seriously good value for money.  My point was just that sometimes it's not always a bad thing to acknowledge that.  

I

For my previous post Terminator, I apologise, as I've not made my point very clearly, rather just rambled on.  I agree with you that the forum should be a place where problems and frustrations are aired but I was merely saying their had been a lot of that lately and anyone would think cruising wasn't actually that fun at all  :) .  

I definitely don't want the forum to become all "sweetness and light" as you say, otherwise its all false and boring and I agree we all have a right to our opinions.  I'm simply expressing mine.  I feel a lot of cruise lines have come in for some flack of late when I actually think many cruise lines provide a holiday that is seriously good value for money.  My point was just that sometimes it's not always a bad thing to acknowledge that.

You don't need to apologise to me Sammy..and I agree with you about complaints against cruiselines.

But isn't that part of the problem....more people are cruising than ever before so it stands to reason that there will be more complaints.

People don't do their research...if they did they would find there are pitfalls to cruising..as there are in all types of holidays and it's threads like this that highlight some of those problems.

People shouldn't get caught out...the info is all there..you just need to find it.

Resesrch, research , research.....

Just to be clear

I am not complaining that anyone on a Saver fare has paid less than me

I am not per se complaining that anyone on a select fare has paid less that me

I am complaining that P&O ( and maybe others ) are weaving their way through a tangled web of legal small print

to effectively break their promise to me.

Quote "Our price promise protection is designed to offer you total peace of mind so you can relax and focus on the important things"

Do I sound relaxed ?

John

Guest shilly3191

There's a lot of negative comments on the forum of late, such as money scams on board and a lot of criticising of cruise lines - often P&O but they're actually doing things in exactly the same way as many other cruise lines.  I've sailed with many different cruise lines but still enjoy a P&O Cruise.  We all enjoy what we enjoy.  The forum should be more about helping each other with questions, chatting about what we like on board, favourite foods etc, dining rooms, ports but instead of late its been filled with negative topics.  Let's all enjoy cruising rather than criticise it, it's a holiday after a

Sorry but you are totally wrong with regards to Princess using the same pricing policy and terms and conditions Cunard and P&O are the same but Princess is different with regards to American and UK passengers. Up until you pay final balance if your cruise is reduced by Princess if you contact them they will reduce yours to the new price and if you cancel you dont lose your deposit. P&O and Cunard if you cancel the day after you have booked and its many months in advance you lose your deposit unless you book another cruise of greater value and transfer your deposit across if you cancel with Princess they give you your deposit back in full.