Would You Like To Spend Longer In Some Ports Of Call?

Hi  Most cruise itineraries spent daylight hours in the ports of call.  Would you like more cruises to add a few overnight stays in some of the ports to experience the night time attractions on offer or do you prefer to visit as many ports of call as possible?  On a personal level I wouldn't mind missing a few of the "dull" ports often visited on the Atlantic Coast when sailing from the UK to spend longer in a more vibrant cities.

Guest shilly3191

The problem is pleasing everybody on the ship what you might find as "dull" ports of call others might like and what you call "vibrant" cities others again might not like its a difficult balancing act for cruiselines and think its a very difficult problem and one they will never win with all the guests.

Don't know how many of you received a survey from P&O recently about this subject? It took around 20 minutes to complete but it was to gauge passengers views on length of time spent in port amongst other things.

I think P&O are trying to find out what passengers think and if they should extend some ports to evening departures (after 5pm) I do not like half day ports as you really do not get a chance to do much and I would prefer leaving a port at 7pm-8pm so you get the benefit of a full day but still have enough time to get to the next port of call.

I did a cruise a few years ago including Tunisia in it's itinerarie which I had no desire to sample so took this as a ship day which was perefect to get a sunbed and enjoy what the ship has to offer. In the same itinerary was Rome which to be honest i would have liked more time there. I've been looking at Azamara for that reason as i notice they do alot of evening overnights in port:)

I did a cruise a few years ago including Tunisia in it's itinerarie which I had no desire to sample so took this as a ship day which was perefect to get a sunbed and enjoy what the ship has to offer. In the same itinerary was Rome which to be honest i would have liked more time there. I've been looking at Azamara for that reason as i notice they do alot of evening overnights in port:)

Hi  Having sailed with Azamara and had a longer time in some of the ports and enjoyed this experience led me to ask members on this forum whether they would like other cruise lines to follow this example.

They could easily spend more time in port if they went a bit faster when they leave… problem is that they are trying to save fuel so they go slower hence we only get a few hours …. so swings and roundabouts. The thing that gets me is when I did my first cruise, ok we missed a port due to the weather which cannot be helped, but we had very few sea days and that was a central med cruise. 

I love longer stays in ports, as cities look completely different at night.  I would love some overnight stops, even if it just meant leaving in the morning for what is effectively a sea day.

There's an MSC itinerary that visits Amsterdam like this later in the year.  Arrived in the morning, then departs the following morning.  This really appeals, but the dates don't suit.

Azamara is one line that's on my to-do list for this very reason.

On my recent Eclipse cruise, I felt that there wasn't nearly enough time in Gibraltar.  We arrived at 13:00 and had to be all aboard by 17:45.  Under 5 hours to explore was just not long enough!

I havent been on half as many cruises as some members. But i know from what i have experienced so far, that i would definatley like to spend more time in ports. I know when we were in St Maarten, it was a last minute decision for us to be allowed back on ship for a 8pm sailing instead of the 5pm approx sailing. We found we could relax more whilst ashore and not clock watching :) I definatley think that some ports would be completely different at night to what they are in the day.

When we did the World cruise we stopped overnight in San Francisco, Hong Kong and Dubai and we felt that we had really seen these cities. It did make all the difference, so stopping overnight is definitely something I'd like to do at other ports too.