Transatlantic - Serenade Of The Seas

Our cruise began in New Orleans after a long 22hours travelling.

No direct flights from Manchester to N.O so we had to change in Atlanta.

We booked into the Raddison Blu hotel in Manchester airport as it is in walking distance undercover to the terminals.

Good flight which was on time.

Changed in Atlanta where the luggage collection and check in was fast and easy.

Officials in the American airports we found to be surly I reckon they could have done with a smiling injection - ( sucking on a Lemon comes to mind)!!

The Marriott hotel where we stayed in N.O ( 25th floor )was lovely what we saw of it. TBH we were so tired all we wanted was a shower and room service before enjoying a good nights sleep.

We were on board the SOTS for lunch time, it was so hot and humid in N.O. we were melting and just wanted a shower.

Our room at the back of the ship was great, with a lovely big balcony which got the sun each day from late morning onwards.

It's quite a walk from the lifts though so if you are not too got at walking it may not be suitable.

Most of our time was spent on our balcony reading in the day time it was so quiet and peaceful.

We did make sure to 'walk a mile' every day though this proved to be a challenge at times as we were heading into the Trade Winds.

We also spent some time in the hot tubs and pool which never seemed to get over full.

Eating - we used the Windjammer the most TBH but did also enjoy some evenings in the Dining Room and Chops Grille. All venues very much enjoyed.

Shows - only bothered with a handful but we did enjoy them.

Diamond Bar - we ventured up there each evening  but also on the odd occasion used the Schooner Bar as we could use our Diamond cards in there. The only problem I have with the Schooner bar is the strong smell of Mackerel as we walked in Phew!! :D 

I must say we met and enjoyed the company of some lovely people from around the world.

In ST Maarten we opted for a land/sea tour which was enjoyable.

Tenerife and Malaga there was a shuttle bus ( free) into the towns if people didn't want to walk.

Cartagena was just a short walk to the shops - it's a pretty little place and our first visit there.

Flight home with Jet2 which went on time. The only problem I find when airlines just offer sarnies etc to buy - they do run out so on this flight we took our own - and yes when the stewardess got to the seats in front there was hardly anything left!!

I have to admit we struggled with the weight in the cases for an 18 night holiday and had to pay just over £50.00 for our third small case ( Big Sigh )

Next holiday booked but from Southampton next year.  ;) 

Thanks for that Waves49. Great review. I personally love Transatlantics having done a great many of them. Like you we book a rear balcony as they are always bigger on RCI and Celebrity ships. Our next is November, Barcelona to São Paula on Splendour OTS. Diamond lounge always proves to me that RCI and Celebrity actually give you something for being a regular traveller.

Thanks for that Waves49. Great review. I personally love Transatlantics having done a great many of them. Like you we book a rear balcony as they are always bigger on RCI and Celebrity ships. Our next is November, Barcelona to São Paula on Splendour OTS. Diamond lounge always proves to me that RCI and Celebrity actually give you something for being a regular traveller.

I have to admit that until we hit the top tier we never realised it existed! and yes I agree with you about the RCI ( not as yet been on Celebrities) they do look after us very well for our loyalty.

An incident on the last cruise in the dining room astounded us.

We had booked a table for two, had been seated only several minutes when we approached and asked if we would mind just moving to the table for two at the side of ours.

The dining room was very busy and a party of 6 had requested being seated together.

We didn't mind at all as we hadn't ordered anything at that time.

We were thanked and asked if they could get us a drink - obviously as a thank you.

We had a glass of champagne each, but they just kept bringing more.

It was a lovely thank you gesture and we certainly didn't expect it.

I can say that during the whole cruise we were looked after extremely well.

We have booked a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas ( first time we have been on this ship ) It's not until next summer out of Southampton.

We are taking one of our daughters who is 40 next year and a wheelchair user so we needed an accessible room.

Boy did we have problems, they go so quickly.

Anyway we are in a Junior Suite  with Balcony first time we have ever had one of these.

Daughter is so excited, it won't be her first cruise but she hasn't been on one for a couple of years.

I will look forward to your review on your next cruises.

• 2 months later...