I was quite perturbed to be honest when I found out the cruise I was going on had changed to plated meals but needn't have worried.

The service was actually more efficient and the food stayed hotter.

when I was reading the menu I just asked the waiter for more of one thing or ordered without another and it was fine

I like the fact that we can stil order more or less of anything and I agree perhaps it will be better as quite often one is waiting to be served with all the extra bits as opposed to getting it all in one go, I guess this will keep the food warmer.  quite looking forward to experiencing it now.

Silver service is when it's just the plate, then the whole main course meal is served to you , should be with a waiter wearing white gloves, and serving with a spoon and fork. This can also apply to the starter and even a dessert. When a plate arrives with usually meat etc and the vegetables are served by a waiter that is called waiter service, a plated meal explains itself.

Guest shilly3191

Never done"plated meals" on P&O but I have on Princess and have always had "plated meals" on Cunard going back to my first cruise in 1997 and I prefer them. My main reason is we like a table for 8 and by the time the waiters have served the plate and then gone around and served the vegetables by the time you start your meal it can be getting on the cool side. Another reason is as wrongly stated by many people P&O have not served "proper" silver service for over 15 yrs just a token service of potatoes and vegetables and can never understand why they ask you when you have ordered a curry or spaghetti bolognese if you want sprouts or cabbage, therefore the vegetables should match the meal if plated and be better and hotter.

Guest shilly3191

Meals will never be 'cool' if silver service is administered correctly. It is down to the number of people performing the service and their competency. As far as the correct vegetables are concerned they are like wine, you should have what you enjoy as opposed to what someone says should accompany something.

Dont know anyone who could enjoy sprouts or cabbage with a curry like my wife was offered on a cruise recently.

No accounting for taste shilly3191 it is an individual thing. Personally I don't see a problem with curry and cabbage providing the cabbage was of the correct variety for me but there again who is to say what is right and what is wrong? certainly not me especially when in one particular country I saw stewed Yam with plum tomatoes being eaten for breakfast.

Guest shilly3191

Curry with cabbage wrong?...three words...cabbage kofta curry

cabbage kofta curry is a bit different than chicken curry with a serving of boiled green cabbage plonked on the side.

Guest shilly3191

Oh I don't know..chinese chicken curry with pak choi is delicious...and have you never had sprouts stir fried in walnut oil with lardons...yummy to say the least.

I think you are of the mindset that if somebody said black was black you would say no it isnt its white.

I think you are of the mindset that if somebody said black was black you would say no it isnt its white.

It's called having an opinion..

I don't disagree with you that in certain circumstances some foods would seem not to compliment each other...but I hope that I've highlighted that in other cultures this is not always necessarily so..

And of course when you were asked if you wanted these particular side dishes you could have made the point that they "in YOUR opinion" weren't the correct accompaniment for the curry.

I most certainly would have...and it may have saved others from being asked the same question and maybe even helped the wait staff to offer a more appropriate side dish in future..

When ordering the curry maybe ask if you could have a pakora, nan bread, bombay potatoes etc.