Favourite tribute acts?

I agree with you re:  Freddie Mercury we have seen him twice now on Azura and although his act didn't change he is brilliant and also a nice guy, we bumped into him in one of the restaurants one night and he stopped to have a chat with us - very pleasant.  We also saw Tom Jones tribute act who apparently was on The Voice this year and he was also excellent.

Without any doubt there are 2 tribute acts that stand out in my mind as a cut above the rest. The first is Peter White who tributes to Kenny Rodgers. He looks like him, sounds like him and could pass for him any day. The second is Jonathan Kane who again looks and sounds like Elton and has his mannerisms off to perfection and is also endorsed by Elton John. The test of a good tribute act in my humble opinion is to close your eyes and listen to the voice to see how near it is to the original.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shilly3191

Oops hated Freddie Mercury we are big Queen fans and he just couldn't hit the notes. Walked out of Elton John, gave Annie Lennox a miss - I guess i just think the originals are better.

Obviously the originals are always going to be better and think you are unfair to Steve Larkin (Freddie Mercury) by saying that he couldnt hit the notes. Think if you go in with the right attitude and not too expect them to be as good as the original then a good night will be had. By the way they have tribute acts because if they could cruise lines couldnt afford the originals if it was possible and with the price of concert tickets think tribute acts are on the whole very good value. The only one we saw and didnt enjoy was "Shirley Bassey" but only went to see her because she was on with a George Michael tribute act who was very good and by the way if I saw the real Shirley Bassey I wouldnt think she was very good. Think it helps if you like/admire the music of the star the tribute act are portraying.

There was a chap on our last cruise (Shelton I think his name was) who was without doubt the worst tribute act I have ever seen. He was meant to be Stevie Wonder but might has well have been Stevie Nicks out of Fleetwood Mac

He was booed off and then the cheesy Ents Director (Nigel) announced at Breakfast that he was being substituted and huge cheer went up!

Guest Solent Richard

I agree with you re:  Freddie Mercury we have seen him twice now on Azura and although his act didn't change he is brilliant and also a nice guy, we bumped into him in one of the restaurants one night and he stopped to have a chat with us - very pleasant.  We also saw Tom Jones tribute act who apparently was on The Voice this year and he was also excellent.

I too thought the Freddie Mercury Tribute on Azura was outstanding.

It was Steve Larkins as Mercury Rising.

He is a New Zealander and did two shows to a packed theatre when we were on Azura last year. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PYCA3jFyt-4

https://www.facebook.com/stevelarkins

• 2 weeks later...