Guest Solent Richard

Southampton Check-In Times To Be Enforced

Guest Solent Richard

I picked this up from a facebook group that I am a member of earlier this morning. It was written by a member who is part of a  Southampton based cruise check-in team.

"We had a pre season meeting at Southampton cruise terminal yesterday to run through the changes for this season. The one that will affect lots of people is that they are changing the way pax board. Check in times are being allocated by deck and even priority pax are being asked not to arrive until their deck time although they will still go through the priority line. These changes are being made to RCI, Celebrity and Princess due to the problems being caused around the town b...y pax turning up earlier & earlier. If pax continue to ignore the ships requests not to arrive before their allocated times then we have been instructed to start turning them away and asking them to come back at the correct time.
Anybody who arrives by coach booked through the cruise line will have a check in time allocated when they board coach and it will fit in with the time the coach is due to arrive at the terminal.
Guests who book pre cruise hotel through cruise line will be given check in time at hotel reception.
Pax who arrive early will be able to drop off luggage and park car but will then be told to return to terminal later".

Personally I think it will be a good move, especially with the larger ships that are now more frequently sailing from the UK's Premier Cruise port...

14046966824_debb3b4346_z.jpg

As I come by coach, thankfully I am guided by the coach driver…. so not a lot I can do about it. If P & O follow suit then it makes a bit of a mockery of having a welcome lounge on board for certain peninsular members between 12 and 2pm. As it is it is very rare that I can take advantage of this… What will they do if the coaches arrive early, just park us up somewhere…. also what happens if you are late and miss your boarding time….

Don't get me wrong I can see the logic in certain respects.  :)

Guest Solent Richard

As I come by coach, thankfully I am guided by the coach driver…. so not a lot I can do about it. If P & O follow suit then it makes a bit of a mockery of having a welcome lounge on board for certain peninsular members between 12 and 2pm. As it is it is very rare that I can take advantage of this… What will they do if the coaches arrive early, just park us up somewhere…. also what happens if you are late and miss your boarding time….

Don't get me wrong I can see the logic in certain respects.  :)

Good morning Pesky Pirate.

I think you will find that members of the various cruise line loyalty programmes will not be affected by these new instructions as neither will be Grills Guests on Cunard and Suite Guests on Celebrity all of whom currently have 'Priority' boarding.

Guest shilly3191

My interpretation of it with regards to P&O is that irrespective of your loyalty tier in Peninsular Club you will be given a boarding time on your e-ticket and you will not be allowed check in before it. Makes a mockery I agree to those that have the privelege of an embarkation lounge onboard and buffet and champagne between 12-2 if you are not being allowed onboard until after 2. My biggest concern is we stay in a hotel pre cruise and according to info, if P&O do the same, will be allowed to leave our suitcases and then be expected to return later. Dont know if they expect you to book your car in with CPS and then walk into town or just drop suitcases and then drive away and come back later. Personally which either way they do I would not be happy with we leave our hotel and make our way to terminal for about 11-30 to 12 but now will be expected to wander aimlessly around Southampton until possibly 3pm. I think it will cause more congestion and fiasco because a lot have no control of what time they get to Southampton if they use coaches or public transport  and is a long walk to town especially from Ocean/QE11 terminals.

Although I can see the logic in this I can foresee quite a few angry people who through no fault of there own arrive earlier than requested, Southampton might be the premier cruise port but if you have dropped your baggage and car off where do you go for a couple of hours? IKEA I do not see this being enforced personally.

As stated by TPP what happens if you arrive late ? this then causes another problem or do you jump the queue of those that arrived on time.( problems ahead )... ;) Ron

Guest Solent Richard

My interpretation of it with regards to P&O is that irrespective of your loyalty tier in Peninsular Club you will be given a boarding time on your e-ticket and you will not be allowed check in before it. Makes a mockery I agree to those that have the privelege of an embarkation lounge onboard and buffet and champagne between 12-2 if you are not being allowed onboard until after 2. My biggest concern is we stay in a hotel pre cruise and according to info, if P&O do the same, will be allowed to leave our suitcases and then be expected to return later. Dont know if they expect you to book your car in with CPS and then walk into town or just drop suitcases and then drive away and come back later. Personally which either way they do I would not be happy with we leave our hotel and make our way to terminal for about 11-30 to 12 but now will be expected to wander aimlessly around Southampton until possibly 3pm. I think it will cause more congestion and fiasco because a lot have no control of what time they get to Southampton if they use coaches or public transport  and is a long walk to town especially from Ocean/QE11 terminals.

Hi Shilly.

As far as P&O are concerned at this moment in time they don't appear to have made any announcement.

My OP was concerning Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, both of which use the City Terminal and who both have considerably larger ships than the average P&O vessel.

We shall see. 

Guest shilly3191

Hi Shilly.

As far as P&O are concerned at this moment in time they don't appear to have made any announcement.

My OP was concerning Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, both of which use the City Terminal and who both have considerably larger ships than the average P&O vessel.

We shall see. 

It is widely reported on the internet in cruise forums that it involved Royal Caribbean, NCL , Princess and P&O for when they all have very large ships at Southampton 2015 I have not seen Celebrity mentioned at all.

the last few times we have checked in at southampton we have stuck to the time on our tickets, though always seemed to be the last ones there and felt like we were late! everybody it seems just gets there from 12pm early on and doesnt stick to thier times lol, we wont be doing this year as though we arrived when our tickets said to they were getting ready to pack up! que my mum panicking lol

We have always found that if you arrive early or late it is not congested. Its if you arrive during the peak times of 1- 2.30ish. Perhaps those who book a Select Fare with P&O could be given the perk of expressing a checkin preference time?

On my last cruise my check in time was around 3pm. If P & O, and other cruise lines, are taking into account what loyalty tier you are for the on board lunch between 12 and 2 then I have to disagree with being baltic tier. Also on coaches you have passengers of all different tiers. Who knows how they are going to arrange it, we will have to wait and see….  :)

Think that the idea behind this is to try and stop people arriving before disembarkation is complete. We have frequently seen queues forming before 9.30am.

Yet boarding doesn't usually start until around 11.30. Appreciate that many people build in an extra hour or so when driving due to possible traffic problems that may be encountered and may then arrive earlier than expected. But to plan to arrive just after 9 is silly. Suppose there will always be those who spoil it for everyone else.

Guest Solent Richard

I picked this up from a facebook group that I am a member of earlier this morning. It was written by a member who is part of a  Southampton based cruise check-in team.

"We had a pre season meeting at Southampton cruise terminal yesterday to run through the changes for this season. The one that will affect lots of people is that they are changing the way pax board. Check in times are being allocated by deck and even priority pax are being asked not to arrive until their deck time although they will still go through the priority line. These changes are being made to RCI, Celebrity and Princess due to the problems being caused around the town b...y pax turning up earlier & earlier. If pax continue to ignore the ships requests not to arrive before their allocated times then we have been instructed to start turning them away and asking them to come back at the correct time.

Anybody who arrives by coach booked through the cruise line will have a check in time allocated when they board coach and it will fit in with the time the coach is due to arrive at the terminal.

Guests who book pre cruise hotel through cruise line will be given check in time at hotel reception.

Pax who arrive early will be able to drop off luggage and park car but will then be told to return to terminal later".

Personally I think it will be a good move, especially with the larger ships that are now more frequently sailing from the UK's Premier Cruise port...

14046966824_debb3b4346_z.jpg

It is widely reported on the internet in cruise forums that it involved Royal Caribbean, NCL , Princess and P&O for when they all have very large ships at Southampton 2015 I have not seen Celebrity mentioned at all.

Good morning Shilly.

As you will see from my OP, I copied what the lady said 'ad verbatim': that included 'Celebrity'.

She is also a member of another forum that you also frequent.

My problem with check in times is that when you are travelling several hundred miles how do you arrive at a set time? sometimes we are early sometimes late. When you have a long drive after an early start all you want to do is have a sit down, relax and have a cup of tea, not have someone telling you are too late because there was an accident on the motorway or too early because there were no hold-ups.

Guest Solent Richard

My problem with check in times is that when you are travelling several hundred miles how do you arrive at a set time? sometimes we are early sometimes late. When you have a long drive after an early start all you want to do is have a sit down, relax and have a cup of tea, not have someone telling you are too late because there was an accident on the motorway or too early because there were no hold-ups.

I agree with your sentiment Seawitch but, for far too long, advice given on forums and Q&A sites have been saying 'just turn up early'.

The next thing we then read is 'the review'  complaining about the crowds and delays at check-in.

It's a funny old world.

I am under the impression it is to try to stop the massive traffic jams caused by cruise traffic, especially when a few ships are in port together.  I cannot see how it will help the traffic flow if passengers are allowed to leave their luggage and park their car, it will just be the same old traffic queue.

The idea is a good one from the point of passenger flow through the terminal but, in practice, it remains to see if it will work.

We are on the Norwegian cruise with P&O on the 31st. 5 ships are in Southampton that day! Our check in time is 13.00, as we only live just over an hour away we have made the decision to arrive at about 15.00-15.30, when hopefully all the congestion will have gone?

We are on the Norwegian cruise with P&O on the 31st. 5 ships are in Southampton that day! Our check in time is 13.00, as we only live just over an hour away we have made the decision to arrive at about 15.00-15.30, when hopefully all the congestion will have gone?

I think that is an excellent idea, It would relieve congestion if people living within 2 hours of Southampton had early and late check in times and people living over 3 hours away had a broad band for a check in time eg 1pm-3pm to allow for traffic.

Guest shilly3191

I think that is an excellent idea, It would relieve congestion if people living within 2 hours of Southampton had early and late check in times and people living over 3 hours away had a broad band for a check in time eg 1pm-3pm to allow for traffic.

What happens to those that live over 3 hours away and are staying in an hotel overnight in Southampton they have to hang around waiting for 1pm while people that live short drive can check in at midday dont think that has been thought out and is not a good idea.

What happens to those that live over 3 hours away and are staying in an hotel overnight in Southampton they have to hang around waiting for 1pm while people that live short drive can check in at midday dont think that has been thought out and is not a good idea.

If they are staying overnight they just let P&o know on the boarding forms and can be treated as if they live in Southampton

Guest shilly3191

If they are staying overnight they just let P&o know on the boarding forms and can be treated as if they live in Southampton

Far too complicated dont know why they just dont leave it as it currently is.