Onboard Photographers - What's Your Opinions?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My personal view is they should be banned from the dining rooms unless invited by guests to do a particular photo. How rude is it for a photographer to arrive at your table whilst you are eating and t

I'm with you entirely PP, Paul & OWT, the last thing I want is a camera thrust into my face whilst I'm enjoying my meal. I also find it rude.

No Thanks, we had one taken on a formal night on our first cruise, and thats it. always say no thanks when leaving the ship. dont need one with a lift belt in the frame.  one thing that I definat

Posted Images

In the main I have always found them courteous and respectful. You get a few that dont give up,but i suppose its their job. The few photo's that we have purchased  on board have been excellent. Sad to say the video we bought of our trip was perhaps,was directed more to the corperate side of the Company. Luckily we took our own video.So we weren't too dissapointed.biggrin.png

• 1 year later...

One of the photographers told us that they plan to stop printing them for display and that passengers will have to find them on the PhotoMe screens and order from there.

They do this on the Britannia. I did miss seeing everyone's picture as I walked past the photo gallery.

We don't make a habit of buying photographs but if there is a nice one we may.

At least if they are already printed you can see the real thing rather than what it looks like on a screen. You can make a decision there and then and buy it if you want to without having to wait to get it printed. The other thing is that some ships don't have that many computer screens for the amount of passengers who probably want to search for their photos, thats if they know how to use them which again takes up even more time and can be rather tedious.

I don't think I will bother in future, not that I had many taken anyway.

When I am eating a meal I do not want the photographers to stop us eating and expect us to move so that we can all be in the photo. We no longer buy their photos as they are very expensive and we have got a box full on them in the loft! With modern cameras and phone people now take their own photos.

• 1 year later...
On 15 April 2014 at 10:20 AM, Cruiseada said:

They as many others on ships have a job to do even if it's freelance, just a polite no thank you with a smile goes a long way, I must admit I do enjoy looking at the photos in the galleries but keeping my remarks to myself.

You can have a bit of fun with silly poses and seeing some of the other passengers photos.

play which ladies dress is the most beautiful or worst. People can pull some strange faces for photos.

admit how many of you sit having a cocktail passing comments on people's attire it can be fun.

My personal view is they should be banned from the dining rooms unless invited by guests to do a particular photo. How rude is it for a photographer to arrive at your table whilst you are eating and then try and arrange photos in groups, pairs and individuals. I know they are trying to make a living but sorry, they are too intrusive.

No Thanks, we had one taken on a formal night on our first cruise, and thats it. always say no thanks when leaving the ship. dont need one with a lift belt in the frame. 

one thing that I definately do not like is when they come on the prowl around the dining rooms you are having a nice conversation over a meal and them you get them asking if you want your photograph taken. Thats a huge No No with me

I don't have a problem as such with onboard photographers, they serve a purpose more especially for first time cruisers on formal nights etc.

But like most have said it's when they become intrusive it becomes a problem and a real pain in the backside especially when dining, almost forcing people to have one taken whilst eating or when in conversation.

Although I'm quite a mild mannered individual, I must admit I'm quite blunt when refusing but it's the only way sometimes. :angry:

HLM.

As a 40+ year professional photographer it make me cringe at the high prices for very poor quality (a lack of any attempt to get the pose especially on the formal black tie nights ) as well as being very slow

I was providing prints on the night at many black tie does back in the 1980's  Sales back then were very good but over the years they have progressively dropped of due the introduction of the photo both and the market being saturated with practically every function having a photographer offering prints on the night  

I have a number of fellow pros how also like to cruise but we all have the same opinion

I am surprised they dedicate so much  to the photo service on-board as most passengers  have cruised many time and the huge number of unsold prints must be having an effect on the sale price and profit

All the photographers I have seen are straight out of photography school and lake the basics of lighting and posing and the ability to work at speed

It is about time they moved with the times and supplied digital files at a reasonable cost and get someone to train the to a higher standard

Edited by Barry W

I think the days of the on-board photographers are numbered, not only because of the exhorbitant charges but also because most people these days have a very good camera as a feature of their mobile phone. For those who want more than just a "selfie" there is never a shortage of fellow passengers willing to oblige and I quite enjoy helping others out with a picture on their own camera. I would be quite happy to see the service discontinued, perhaps with the exception of photography for those celebrating a special occasion such as a wedding or anniversary. The disproportionate amount of space given to the display of the pictures could then be put to far better use.

1 hour ago, shirvic said:

The ships photographs are too expensive.   I am sure they would sell a lot more if they were half price.   I shall be on my 21st cruise shortly and I shall not be buying the ships photos.   Yes if you are your first couple of cruises it is a nice memory.

It is a common comment that photos are too expensive.  I am sure that they are priced to make maximum profit as most things on ships are.  Reducing the price and selling more would seem to be the way to go, but I suspect that they have found the optimum cost benefit point.  They are too expensive for me to consider, but there are probably enough first time cruisers who will pay the inflated prices for memories of their 'once in a life time' cruise

The responses so far underline the fact that the photos on board are just too expensive. I agree with this.

Less cost would give them More business. Worst so far for intrusion was on Celebrity where the photographers lay in wait upon diners leaving the room and then ambush the startled diners. Poor form to say the least and almost led to a punch-up.