When you go green you don't get your brochure with the luggage labels in and to be honest I like having the book to look through at the excursions even though I don't do many these days…. Also, unless I can get my labels laminated, I am not sure how secure and untearable the ones you print off yourselves are. Not only that we pay a lot of money for the cruises, we now have to do our own tickets so why not let the cruise operator send you stuff…  :wacko:

I think the amount of paper used in the paperless systems is significantly less than when cruise companies send literature out.

So far I've had absolutely no paperwork at all for my cruise.  An online booking with e-mail confirmation.  I'll eventually print out a single 2-page document for check-in - that's it!  AND no fuel is used in getting that paperwork to me.

Celebrity do still allow you to request luggage tags, so I do that because it's easier and I have a feeling I use more reinforcement paper when printing my own tags than Celebrity to use to send me the plastic-y ones!

All good news in my book, and I'd much rather download the PDF cruise literature with excursions etc and read it on my iPad or Kindle than have all of that extra paper.

Dennis,

My point being P&O say it is to save paper but the customer has to print off about the same amount so it is not helping save paper, and no I am not an ECO warrior ;) Ron

Hi Ron, yes it's good point re tickets, luggage labels etc - as you say, someone has to print them off so not much planet saving going on.

However, not sure if this comes under the same "going green" section, but the excursion booklet is something that neither I or P&O have printed for the last couple of cruises, so hopefully that was done for green reasons rather than reducing costs.

Suppose the cruise companies do want to do their bit but I think it is more to do with reducing their postage costs.

Like others, I still prefer to receive the proper luggage labels rather than print them off. The coloured labels must make it easier for the crew to get luggage to the appropriate decks anyway.

I still feel that a lot of paper is wasted during a cruise. Just think of all the department promotional flyers that are placed in each cabin mailbox. Most of it is also noted in the daily events paper so, is really unnecessary. And yes I know that much is recycled but even the recycling process leaves a carbon footprint.

Suppose the cruise companies do want to do their bit but I think it is more to do with reducing their postage costs.

Like others, I still prefer to receive the proper luggage labels rather than print them off. The coloured labels must make it easier for the crew to get luggage to the appropriate decks anyway.

I still feel that a lot of paper is wasted during a cruise. Just think of all the department promotional flyers that are placed in each cabin mailbox. Most of it is also noted in the daily events paper so, is really unnecessary. And yes I know that much is recycled but even the recycling process leaves a carbon footprint.

It will reduce postage costs (but also the environmental impact of the delivery), but at the same time they had to develop and maintain (and pay for) a system to allow customers to manage their booking, check-in, and print what they need online.  This cost isn't negligible either.

I do like the proper labels.  I love that Celebrity will send you them even though everything else is online.  Might be worth suggesting to the other companies too!

I agree that a lot of paper is wasted on a cruise.  I think that in the near future we're going to see lines develop an app to be used while on board that allows you to view your account, book dinner reservations and excursions, and see the daily planner etc.  They might even have e-Tickets for excursions eventually!  I don't think they can make this compulsory like the check-in system as not everyone will have an iPhone/iPad with them on board.

I'd certainly use it, though, and would much rather that than have all that paper delivered every night.  All I end up doing is taking a photo of the daily guide anyway, as I have my iPhone on me all the time so it's far more convenient!  The possibilities are endless!

I am with dst87 instead of being sent reems of paper, have it on the computer, have a folder just for that holiday and its all in one place then when I travel all I have are a few bits of paper for tickets, so much easier as most of the stuff sent out you actually dont need to travel with :)

Appreciate if you have not got a computer or dont feel confident using one then its not so easy but that does seem to be less and less people now adays :)

I agree that a lot of paper is wasted on a cruise.  I think that in the near future we're going to see lines develop an app to be used while on board that allows you to view your account, book dinner reservations and excursions, and see the daily planner etc.  

Hi Duncan,

It has been possible to do this on RCI and Celebrity via the in cabin TV for at least the last 10 years to my personal knowledge. Some other lines need to catch up.

OWT

Hi Duncan,

It has been possible to do this on RCI and Celebrity via the in cabin TV for at least the last 10 years to my personal knowledge. Some other lines need to catch up.

OWT

That's true - you can do some of this (albeit a little clumsily) on the interactive TV on board.  I used it for checking my account quite regularly, and ordering room service.

I think having a mobile app that connects locally using the ship's WiFi (but without connected externally to the internet) would allow on the spot booking of dining, spa and excursions (which should increase revenue though impulsiveness) and could also offer todays programme, maybe allowing people to set reminders.

An app like this could also be used to keep track of your party and include a local messaging system where you could 'text' for free between passengers (Costa released this fairly recently with their new MyCosta app).  The possibilities really are endless.

Nooooooooooo.

I don't want to be listening to peoples phones going off telling them they have a text.

It's bad enough ashore with people walking around like zombies with their phones in their hands texting each other.

The number of times people have walked into me because they're not watching where they're going.

If anything cruise lines should have a dampening field to stop the use of phones aboard.

Bah humbug....

But Terminator: that already happens!  Ships already provide cell service (albeit at a huge cost) so it's already possible.  In any case, most people these days keep their phones on vibrate when in areas where others might be disturbed.

If people have paid all that money and walk around with their heads in an iPhone... what do you care?  It's their loss.  Just enjoy your holiday!

Welcome to the 21st Century!  ;)

But it's not their loss when I have to listen to their conversation.

Time to fight back against this inexorable march of technology..it's all fine in the right place.

Maybe ships should have areas for you phone addicts like they have for nicotine addicts..

After all it's like a drug to some people.

Me..I was brought up in an age when the words mobile and phone meant you got up off your derriere and walked to the nearest phone box.

Usually at 6 o' clock for the cheap calls.

But it's not their loss when I have to listen to their conversation.

Time to fight back against this inexorable march of technology..it's all fine in the right place.

Maybe ships should have areas for you phone addicts like they have for nicotine addicts..

After all it's like a drug to some people.

Me..I was brought up in an age when the words mobile and phone meant you got up off your derriere and walked to the nearest phone box.

Usually at 6 o' clock for the cheap calls.

When did we start talking about people taking phone calls.  I thought we were talking about text messaging and people with their heads buried in their phones.

I don't defend people who have loud phone conversations in quiet, public areas.  I also don't consider myself addicted to my phone.

A text message isn't harming anyone though, and isn't intrusive to anyone else around the person receiving the text.

I have signed up to 'go green'with the cruise companies and travel agents and receive a couple of e-mails each day. We print off our own labels and tickets but it still does not stop the constant flood of 'special offer' postcards and leaflets. Barely a day goes by without at least one in the post usually two or three. The record still stands at 17. If they stopped all these they would probably be able to reinstate some of the little treats that have gone missing over the years.