Miami Airport Fly Cruise

Flew Virgin into Miami for a Celebrity Panama Canal cruise. What a nightmare! The queue for immigration started in the passage from the gate, proceeded along the travelators, through a hallway, into another corridor - and all that was before actually reaching the immigration hall. It took about 2 hours to reach that point. We were then allowed into the hall in batches and spent another 45 minutes in a zig-zag queuing system to get to the desks. When we were close, they inexplicably took two rows of folks from the back straight to the front! After that it was easy going - only another 45 minutes to clear customs! Three andf a half hours in all, eventually reaching our pre-cruise hotel after 11pm. The Celebrity rep said it was unusual to have such a long delay but others who have used Miami regularly said they have experienced it every time. Every Brit I spoke to said "never again" for flying via Miami.

Yes coopz we had an almost identical experience when we did a Royal Caribbean cruise and had to fly into Miami .Three Jumbo jets landed at the same time and it was a nightmare with very long queues. I do think it is a regular occurrence at that airport with immigration delays.

Best avoid it if you can , however Celebrity and RCI use it for lots of their cruises.

Hi   I have spoken to quite a few USA citizens and they all agree that even for USA passengers (they are fast tracked through immigration) it is the worst airport to pass through in the USA.  There is no way round the problem just grin and bear it.  However, if your cruise is sailing from Fort Lauderdale ask the cruise line or if you are booking flights yourself to go that airport instead it's quicker to get through the formalities but on the downside there's no direct flights form the UK.  Another way is fly via Dublin to the USA you go through  the immigration procedure in Ireland and you can therefore transmit the airport faster.

We did a fly cruise last May flying into Miami. I had just had a second knee replaced, so could walk OKish but couldn't stand for long. The travel agent arranged for assistance in Miami. It was without doubt the best thing that could have happened. We passed all the queues as described and were through immigration in about 30 minutes. Without that assistance I really don't think that I could have stayed on my feet for 3 hours plus.

It looked like a nightmare. It's as if the USA authorities don't give a s**t about people coming into their country. We've had problems in Las Vegas and Los Angeles, but nothing as bad as it looked in Miami.

RayO

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Flew Virgin into Miami for a Celebrity Panama Canal cruise. What a nightmare! The queue for immigration started in the passage from the gate, proceeded along the travelators, through a hallway, into another corridor - and all that was before actually reaching the immigration hall. It took about 2 hours to reach that point. We were then allowed into the hall in batches and spent another 45 minutes in a zig-zag queuing system to get to the desks. When we were close, they inexplicably took two rows of folks from the back straight to the front! After that it was easy going - only another 45 minutes to clear customs! Three andf a half hours in all, eventually reaching our pre-cruise hotel after 11pm. The Celebrity rep said it was unusual to have such a long delay but others who have used Miami regularly said they have experienced it every time. Every Brit I spoke to said "never again" for flying via Miami.

Oh you are so right, I also said I would never go into Miami again it was a nightmare the queues were unbelievable, we were sat next to an American guy on the plane and when we were walking off the plane he invited us to ride with him on a buggy we passed lots and lots of passengers all walking to the customs which felts like miles, on arrival at customs we had the same terrible experience with a late night arrival at the hotel, unfortunately I have relented and we are on a Caribean cruise in a few weeks but I know what to expect, although it will not make it any easier, on reflection I wish I had booked into Orlando and drove down.........