What's Your Main Consideration(S) When Selecting A Cruise?

Hi  When I first started cruising my main considerations for selecting a cruise was the itinerary and cost.  As time progressed my pattern changed.  I now chose the cruise line/ship, date,, duration, price, itinerary and finally cabin.  i enjoy visitng novel ports and so tend not to select UK departures, on the normal 14 day voyage it's alarming quick how you start repeating ports of call, so I opt manily for the fly cruise market thus opening up more of the world.  In addition most of the cruise lines operating from UK waters are not that good and cater for a market I don't particularly enjoy.  In order to keep the price down on the cruise lines I like to sail with I usually book a lower priced cabin.  What are the major factors in your choice for selecting a cruise?

Guest Lulucat

We usually cruise at certain times of the year for example for birthdays and for Christmas/New Year, so it depends  what's available from Southampton at the time.  We have tried a couple of flying holidays in the last two years and all that has done has made us realize that we still don't like flying and won't do it again in a hurry.    So we choose the cruise we fancy the most from what is available - simples.

dates first, there are only about 20 weeks a year when my husband can be off work. Then,is there any new ports to visit? we like to visit somewhere new but quite often we have been everywhere on an itinerary. If there is room for choice after these restrictions we would go for ship something new to us or an old favorite.

Itinery for us, then cruise company. I'm choosy with cabins as in 'where they are on the ship' but I'm not bothered if it's an inside or balcony unless it's cruising say the Panama Canal or Suez Canal. For cruises like this I like to spend my day on the balcony and use room service.

Hubby like a balcony though

We like to choose a different destination if possible,something new.Having said that we went round the Caribbean in January,for the third time,but the price was right.We enjoy a balcony.We were on the Azura,a great experience.

My criteria vary. Preferences are:

UK sailing rather then Fly Cruise,

Balcony over other cabins (never a suite),

more sea days than port days,

sunshine over scenic,

and, of course, cheap over pricey.

I would prefer P&O, Princess, Celebrity & Cunard over NCL, RCI & MSC. Unless I win the Lottery I would not consider Silverseas, Seabourn and Crystal, though Regent & Oceania may be possible.

At any point these criteria are variable.

RayO

My criteria vary. Preferences are:

UK sailing rather then Fly Cruise,

Balcony over other cabins (never a suite),

more sea days than port days,

sunshine over scenic,

and, of course, cheap over pricey.

I would prefer P&O, Princess, Celebrity & Cunard over NCL, RCI & MSC. Unless I win the Lottery I would not consider Silverseas, Seabourn and Crystal, though Regent & Oceania may be possible.

At any point these criteria are variable.

RayO

Hi  I would add Azamara to your list, some of their itineraries outside peak seasons are often quite reasonable value, watch out for late booking offers.

For me personally its a cruise, and thats what i love sea days more the better, i guess its in my blood after over 30 years in the navy, i would personally be happy just setting sail from southampton, gong round the world not getting off till i got back to uk. I know that will never happen so when we choose a cruise,being retired and not pensioners in the class of lord sugar etc, we consider ther cost, the destination.

1. Ships we only really prefer 2 Oriana, and Aurora, I dont like this big ugly looking things, like the new britania, ventura, azura etc, like adonia, artemis, but my wife does not like the smaller ships, because of the motion of the vessel. Also being an ex mariner im choosey where i want to be on a ship and if i cant get where id sooner be i wouldnt go.

I agree with Journeyman about the larger ships.

We went on Azura once because of the itinery but would probably not go again. My cousin, who had cruised before but not with P&O went on Ventura with her husband who is retired from the Navy. They hated the experience and have as a result never sailed with P&O again.

Staying with P&O ships we also think that the best sized ships are Oriana and Aurora.

Our favourite ship used to be the old Adonia until P&O sold her. After that we preferred Artemis and when that was sold Oriana.. For some reason Artemis and Oriana seem the friendliest we have ever been on and Artemis was a very happy ship.

We are off on the new Adonia soon so will seeif we get the smaller ship wobbles on her. Never got the wobbles on Artemis. Thinking of wobbles, when we were on Oriana last yearmy wife woke up in the middle of the night and reached for a glass of water by the bed. A few seconds later she found herself soaking wet at the other end of the cabin. Oddly she seemed mor concerned about having poured water all over P&O's sofa whilst on her involuntary journey than anything else! I did not realise how bad the swell was until I got up, ran a bath, and saw the movement of the water. Was quite expecting to feel the land movingunder me when I disembarked but luckily those days are well over!

Of P&O's ships not so far mentioned Oceana and Arcadia are alrightbut I would avoid Azura and Ventura and definitely Brittania despite it being nice and new.

Having written all this I guess I should answer the original question.

1. We must have a balcony. I know otherswith the cruise bug will disagree as they go in an inside cabinet in order to be able to afford more days a year at sea but with a balcony, if ill, one can stillgo outside, enjoy the view and get fresh air. It is also fun to watch the sea at night and be ablein and out in the daytime if the weather changes rather than making a long journey to get warmer clothing or whatever;

2. If possible avoid ships more than say about 85,000 tons and go where you want to go rather than where a particular ship is going;

3. Usually we just want to go to sea and we like somewhere warm so specific ports do not always matter when choosing the cruise and more sea days are great to enjoy the facilities of the ship. However we do occasionally choose the cruise to see a particular thing. For example the Panama Canal or the Pyramids.

4. Consider the cost;

5. We most likely would go with P&O if the criteria already mentioned is fulfilled otherwise we look elsewhere. Remember a ship with lots of balconies meets criteria 1 and good last minute value with criteria 4 but is likely to end up a non-starter if the ship is similar to Azura, Ventura or the new Britannia. A ship with few balconies such as Oriana may have none left if one leave booking too late. Last time this happened we went on a river cruise with Viking instead!

If all the criteria is met and there is a choice of ships we would likely go on one with a cinema as on the Old Arcadia, Artemis and and Oriana.

Happy Cruising

Admiral

I still say that they should never had gotten rid of Artemis in favour of Adonia. P & O should have carried out the refit that it was destined to have prior to selling it off. As Admiral has said, it was a happy ship, had more facilities than Adonia, was slightly bigger but could still get into the smaller ports.

Just one of those things which is supposedly called progress…