Flam Railway And Biking

Has anyone done the P&O Flam Railway and Biking Tour? I have been looking at this for our Fjords cruise in August and fancy this tour but was unsure how fit you would have to be? I note it says the bike ride is down hill. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this and how strenuous you found it? I am in good health but not exactly peak fitness so didn't want to go for it if it was more for those athletically inclined.

HI Mee Mee - my parents did the rail in flam, but not the bike tour, they said the train was worth every penny its amazing. My parents said you need to book it as soon as possible as it does get full. I myself did visit flam a few years ago and its so beautiful you will love it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I made it and it was an excellent option, went to the top and back down half way by train and then cycled the rest of the way I think they said 9KM of which 6KM was down hill and 3KM flat. A reasonable degree of health was required but you didn't need to be fit. The worst bit was the extremely uncomfortable saddle if I do this again I am packing a Gel Seat cover!!

We did the Arctic circle recently and  we bought our tickets from the  desk in Flam just after the ship had docked 80 pounds fro two whereas PO charge 63 per person for one, our table companions came to late and could only get the one way  to Flam , they were offered the option of biking back, they were rather daunted by the height and the downhill  winding roads  they were in their 50's, but when they arrived back they were thrilled they said it was wonderful and completely safe and were glad they did it. CG