Beautiful city with so many sights & beautiful buildings to see . Wonderful cafe's , I would also endorse researching the what'sinport websit suggested by shetlander but also study the port guide on board and select what you want to see as you won't see it all in one day.

Please be aware that pickpockets are very active around Lisbon & be very vigilant whilst at the major tourist attractions as several passengers were robbed on my last cruise stop there .

I thought it was the poorest European capital city I've been to. I realise I'm in a minority - see above and also friends and family think otherwise too. I've been twice and unimpressed both times. I thought it was rather run down and uncared for. The HopOn-HopOff buses are a bonus but in my view there was nothing much of interest to see. As I said - I am in a minority in my view.

cheers

Harvey

Lisbon

Get up early and get out on deck for the sail under the bridge.  The views of the Discovery monument to your left and the Statue of Christ to your right are fantastic.

There are two positions for the ship to berth, one by the bridge & one further up nearer the square. If the ship docks by the bridge just walk outside the dock and across the road. There is a train station by the police station which will take you into the city or the other way to Estoril or Cascais.  If you walk round the corner from the station there is a tram (cheap) which will take you into the city.

The city itself is well spread out and full of great architecture and it is very easy to find your way around.

Excursions:

This is another easy DIY Destination.  There are two shuttle drop of points that are known.  One is Black horse square and the other a couple of blocks away.    If you are dropped off in Black Horse square cross to the other side were the local tourist office is housed and you can collect a map of the city,

There are lots of trips around the city; most of them go from the top corner of Black Horse Square, however there are other pick-up/drop-off points around the city.  Have a look around where the shuttle drops you off for an information and ticket point.  One of the trips is the ‘Tagus Tour’, this takes in all the main sights, including the Discovery monument on the river bank before dropping you back at the square, you can get on and off at leisure and just pick up the next tour bus, every 30 minutes. There is also the olde tram, don't book the cruise lines tour you can easy DIY, it is an old wooden yellow tram and it is hoho.

A must see is the ‘Elevator de Santa Justa’ the trip to the top is worthwhile with fantastic views over the city.

If dining then a Portuguese custard tarts is a must and totally delicious.

I thought it was the poorest European capital city I've been to. I realise I'm in a minority - see above and also friends and family think otherwise too. I've been twice and unimpressed both times. I thought it was rather run down and uncared for. The HopOn-HopOff buses are a bonus but in my view there was nothing much of interest to see. As I said - I am in a minority in my view.

cheers

Harvey

I agree I thought the same. I found it dirty and covered in graffiti. We did the P&O excursion 'Lisbon by land and river' and I did enjoy the boat ride but wouldn't be in a hurry to see Lisbon again.

• 3 weeks later...

Called at Lisbon twice it was the last port of call on both cruises so no real choice as has been said it is not the most attractive area the only bonus for us was when we entered the port sailing up under the road bridge apart from that it was nothing special the area outside the terminal could do with a bit of redevelopment IMO ;) Ron

Guest Lulucat

We love it Firefly.   Apart from the portside we haven't seen any graffiti at all in fact I would go so far as to say that we found Lisbon a very attractive city and very easy to get around.

You can get up to the top, as already said, by the lift, but the bottom is pretty flat and we think there are some nice shops and some very nice cafes and restaurants.

It's funny how different people see things differently - I am staggered by the comments about it being dirty - not an impression we got at all and we have been 3 times.  

I have been to Lisbon twice and while not being the best place we have been to, it is in no way near the worst. It's a pleasant walk along the waterside, passing the Discovery Monument, the city centre has plenty of architecture to admire, and shops if that is what you like. If you want to see a really depressing place go to Naples.

• 5 weeks later...

I had my wallet lifted which was frustrating as I am a seasoned backpacker but  my priority at the time was ensuring the kids (which weren't around in backpack days) were safely on the tram. Thankfully only 1 quickly cancelled credit card and 30 euros.

2nd time much happier. Kids loved the trams and the 'secret' funiculars. Buy tickets from a kiosk rather than on-board to save hassle.

Graffiti doesn't make a city bad - Copenhagen is covered in graffiti but is also a fab city.

Be brave, leave the Daily Mail on the ship and explore. I thought  it was super.

• 3 months later...

We were in Lisbon recently and loved the place, used the hoho bus, there was a bit of a scrum to get on as there were 5 big cruise ships in port. This also meant lengthy queues at the popular sites. Advice would be to get off early if there are that number of ships in. Still enjoyed our visit though.

• 1 month later...

cheers

Harvey

We have called at Lisbon at least 6 times and totally agree , definitely underwhelmed. The train to Estoril  was ok, and we did a tour out of the city last time which was very good. We are there again in a couple of weeks and have booked a tour out of the city again.

Been twice both times we have toured on our own searching out places the are off the main touristy trail,both times it rained first time we got absolutely soaked and used both the ho ho buses and ended up with a bonus as the G8 talks were being held so we say the military in all their finery on horseback parading along the side of the river and lined up by the discovery monument.second time went around some of the small back streets found a wonderful cafe that was a lot cheaper than those in the centre and the locks were really friendly. Dirty No, but it's all in the eyes of the beholder. To be honest I have seen a lot of places that are way dirtier in the UK. Just look at our capital, been a couple of times going back No, Lisbon Yes looking forward to a visit again in November

Guest Solent Richard

Could be a good day to be in Lisbon today, a few thousand Chelsea supporters should give it a bit of life.

On a more serious note though, here is a link that will give readers an idea of what can be achieved on a day's visit...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/08/20/one-way-to-do-lisbon/

Personally i thought it a great place to visit, steeped in history and a culture that is infectious. 

14749244150_7e3a812323_z.jpg

14749238249_d53ba2d07f_z.jpg

We had a trip from Aurora on the Black Sea cruise which we are just back from. We did a lovely trip to Cascais, the Atlantic Coast where the big waves crash in, and another lovely village called Sintra. It was a joy to see places so different from Lisbon which seems more tatty and rundown every visit, and heartbreaking to see so many buildings in urgent need of repairs. It was a half day trip to see all three, and I would recommend it as a good alternative to the city centre.

We had a trip from Aurora on the Black Sea cruise which we are just back from. We did a lovely trip to Cascais, the Atlantic Coast where the big waves crash in, and another lovely village called Sintra. It was a joy to see places so different from Lisbon which seems more tatty and rundown every visit, and heartbreaking to see so many buildings in urgent need of repairs. It was a half day trip to see all three, and I would recommend it as a good alternative to the city centre.

That was the tour we did last visit, couldn't remember the place names, and really enjoyed it.