Breakfast In Main Dining Room.

I have only once tried breakfast in the main dining room and to be honest it put me off. I suppose it is similar to afternoon tea whereby they fill up the tables as people arrive. On the occasion that I did try it I was with a friend and there were already people on the table who had virtually finished breakfast and whilst they were not the most amenable of subjects obviously we had to put up with them.

Anyways, the thing that I found most annoying was upon ordering toast we were told that as there was some left on the table then that is what we were expected to eat. I was under the impression that having breakfast in the dining room would mean that you would get everything freshly cooked including the toast and not be expected to eat what other people may have helped themselves to, particularly now that NV can suddenly become ripe over the ship very quickly.

So, as I am going on a cruise in the next few months, my question is: Is this normal practice on most ships or did I experience a one off. Naturally I will go to self service or room service rather than have someone else's leftovers if this is normal practice.

Thanks…   ;)

TPP

I am in total agreement with all of your comments, whilst we would like waiter service at breakfast we do not like joining a table who are halfway through, as you say when there is toast on the table you have to be careful you don't step on somebodies toes by taking to much.

I have read on the forum that you can ask for a table for two not sure which cruise line though, I suppose it would also depend on how many were available plus what time you arrived for breakfast, as we have actually on one occasion been rushed because they wanted to set tables for lunch ! ;) Ron

I have only once tried breakfast in the main dining room and to be honest it put me off. I suppose it is similar to afternoon tea whereby they fill up the tables as people arrive. On the occasion that I did try it I was with a friend and there were already people on the table who had virtually finished breakfast and whilst they were not the most amenable of subjects obviously we had to put up with them.

Anyways, the thing that I found most annoying was upon ordering toast we were told that as there was some left on the table then that is what we were expected to eat. I was under the impression that having breakfast in the dining room would mean that you would get everything freshly cooked including the toast and not be expected to eat what other people may have helped themselves to, particularly now that NV can suddenly become ripe over the ship very quickly.

So, as I am going on a cruise in the next few months, my question is: Is this normal practice on most ships or did I experience a one off. Naturally I will go to self service or room service rather than have someone else's leftovers if this is normal practice.

Thanks…   ;)

We have only cruised with RCI and HAL recently but in my limited experience they generally filled a table at a time.  In addition there was no sharing of food!  I'm not sure my evidence is sufficient to count as normal practice.

TPP

I am in total agreement with all of your comments, whilst we would like waiter service at breakfast we do not like joining a table who are halfway through, as you say when there is toast on the table you have to be careful you don't step on somebodies toes by taking to much.

I have read on the forum that you can ask for a table for two not sure which cruise line though, I suppose it would also depend on how many were available plus what time you arrived for breakfast, as we have actually on one occasion been rushed because they wanted to set tables for lunch ! ;) Ron

You can always ask for a table for two!  Again on my limited recent experience you simply had to wait until a table was available.

I personally enjoy the concept of sharing tables, but a merry-go-round of diners sort of defeats the object for me.  I've had more interesting conversations than dull ones, and particularly at breakfast the dull ones don't last very long and does give you something to talk about during the day.

We have never come across having to eat toast that is already onthe table. The toast has always been served to us (albeit sometimes not as warm as you would like). The breakfast in the dining room is our preffered choice on P&O, as sometimes the scrum in the self service is hard work.

We always request a table for two at breakfast and have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for a table. We are then not relying on other passengers for the speed of our service, quick if we want or leisurely if on a sea day.

Mike

I had the problem of asynchronous breakfasting in the MDR on Celebrity with impossible to join conversation because everyone was already seated (and much older than us). I vowed to stick to the buffet or room service for breakfast

We never had any issue with sharing food though - all of the food was made to order (or at least brought to order).

Now that I know it's possible to request a table for two for breakfast, I will give this another go.

That said, with an expanded Concierge Class in-room breakfast menu and oversized balcony in the warmer Med climates, breakfast on the balcony might be a very appealing option in May :-)  I can't wait!

Guest shilly3191

Always eat in MDR for breakfast and never joined a table where they are halfway through the breakfast. If you dont ask for a table for 2 they fill up very quickly and usually wait until table is full before they start taking oreders. One thing is for sure itsd better than the bun fight in the "canteen" sorry self service to get your own find a table and then eat your cold breakfast.

Always eat in MDR for breakfast and never joined a table where they are halfway through the breakfast. If you dont ask for a table for 2 they fill up very quickly and usually wait until table is full before they start taking oreders. One thing is for sure itsd better than the bun fight in the "canteen" sorry self service to get your own find a table and then eat your cold breakfast.

People always seem to complain about the 'canteen' food in the self-service restaurants, but on both Celebrity Eclipse and Celebrity Infinity I never had cold food and always found the staff helpful and friendly.  I've had freshly made Eggs Benedict and freshly made omelettes.  No problem at all!

I tend to want to eat and run at breakfast to get on with the day, so maybe that's why I can't be bothered with the formality and time taken in the MDR.  As I say, I'll give it another go on a table for two in May.

Guest Lulucat

Funnily enough we have never had the problem of not being able to find a table, or of our food being cold.   I think everyone refers to the Buffet as the 'bun fight' whether they have problems there or not.   Luckily I rarely have toast at breakfast, so hot, cold or shared, it is not a problem for me.

We actually enjoy a wander around the buffet in the morning to see what we fancy - I have had what some may call very 'odd' breakfasts as a result - but usually very enjoyable and again usually, hassle free.

I would concur with dst87 the (canteen ) food has always been of acceptable standard never had a cold breakfast unlike in the restaurant, never had trouble finding a table it just depends on if you are picky were you want to sit only ever cruised with P&O so cannot comment on other companies. ;) Ron

I would concur with dst87 the (canteen ) food has always been of acceptable standard never had a cold breakfast unlike in the restaurant, never had trouble finding a table it just depends on if you are picky were you want to sit only ever cruised with P&O so cannot comment on other companies. ;) Ron

I think I will stick with self service…

I know it was some time ago but when we cruised with P&O I always found the MDR breakfasts and lunches to be good.  So why not give it another go?

We always ask for a table for two (or more if we are on board as a family group) and always had our request met, sometimes we have had to wait a few minutes for one to become available. Breakfast in the main dining rooms on P&O ships are a lovely experience. We always go to served breakfast on disembarkation day but don't but this is the only am we don't bother asking for a table for two due to how busy it is.

We always ask for a table for two (or more if we are on board as a family group) and always had our request met, sometimes we have had to wait a few minutes for one to become available. Breakfast in the main dining rooms on P&O ships are a lovely experience. We always so served breakfast on disembarkation day but don't but this is the only am we don't bother asking for a table for two due to how busy it is.

When we last cruised with P&O (some time ago but this century!) breakfast on disembarkation morning was on the same basis as dinner, and served by the same waiters.  I always felt that this was a really nice end to a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

When we last cruised with P&O (some time ago but this century!) breakfast on disembarkation morning was on the same basis as dinner, and served by the same waiters.  I always felt that this was a really nice end to a cruise.

Unfortunately, served breakfast on any morning you do not get your regular evening waiters, you go to the entrance, specify a table size if you would like a particular size and they seat you at the next available table. If you don't mind being with others they just fill up the tables in order. Occasionally you might see your evening waiters. We have been cruising since 2003 and its always been like this. is that what you meant Shetlander?

I nearly always use the MDR for breakfast but most certainly on the last morning. It's so civilised on the last day compared to the Buffet area. In the latter, people tend to hang on to their table with another cup of tea or coffee so finding a seat is a nightmare. There's also loads of hand-luggage everywhere. I am talking several years ago as I now only use the MDR on the last morning.

cheers

Harvey

On our last cruise on Ventura we used the MDR twice, The first time we were shared a table for 8 with very pleasant passengers, The service wasn't so good though, My husband had to wait while others who had ordered fruit.cereal etc were served and had eaten it before he could have his bacon and eggs etc.

The second time was a table for two were we were just forgotten about,Other table were served, had eaten and left while we waited ...and we couldn't any toast at all.!!

• 2 weeks later...

We quite often go to the Main Dining Room for breakfast in a bid not too eat too much. I have never been told to finish the toast on a table and to be quite honest I would be horrified if it was suggested. We sometimes go in for afternoon tea and on the last cruise which was Princess the head waiter tried very hard to perfect cucumber sandwiches for me - couldn't quite get it though. I even offered to show him how it was done - all good fun. Sometimes we may want to sit on our own and normally can do so without too much of a wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks…   ;)

I too have tried it only once like you, and did not like it at all, and have never done it again.