I have drank the water from the cabin taps before and never had a problem, when you think about it it is probably cleaner than the water you have at home, these ships cannot risk any disease or infection travelling round so the water must be processed to the highest standard

Either that or just drink wine!! your on holiday! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The water on the ship is perfectly safe to drink. It is what they serve in the restaurants.

However I find that if I drink the ships water my ankles swell. I have been told that it is because it is desalinated water (or something like that).

We buy the bottled water but it seems more and more expensive every time we board.

Sue

Agree with you Suekersh many people find the water on board makes their ankles swell as some sodium is retained in the desalination process.However some of the bottled water sold on board can also have a high sodium content which has the same effect.Best to check the sodium contents. This problem has been mentioned by many people who are sodium sensitive.

I have just come back from a Celebrity cruise where I was advised that it was perfectly safe to drink the tap water .

Has anyone heard of this before ? I generally buy a large bottle of water for my cabin every day but if this is the case on all ships, then I won't bother in future.

Good evening keith

Of course it's safe. You don't really think that Celebrity, or any other cruise line, would supply you with contaminated water.  It's just a matter of preference whether you use it or buy overpriced bottled water. The tap water is perfectly safe and when chilled in your fridge tastes fine. (Having said that - I rarely drink the stuff - there's better alternatives available in the many lounge bars throughout the ship ;) )

cheers

Harvey

Guest shilly3191

I have drank the tap water on P&O, Cunard and Princess for 16 yrs with no ill effects. With reference to the water on ships making your ankles swell there are many varying reasons of why some peoples ankles swell on cruises and dont think there is a definite answer of the cause.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tap water on the ship is perfectly safe to drink, but I do find that the salt in it makes my fingers and ankles swell.  Husband has no ill effects at all from it.  On our last few cruises I have picked up a case of bottled water before boarding and used that on board most of the time.  I am not fussy enough to worry about the ice in my drinks on board, and will sometimes have tap water in the dining room, but by reducing the amount of 'eau de tap' that I drink, the problem is averted.

Sheila

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Solent Richard

I have just come back from a Celebrity cruise where I was advised that it was perfectly safe to drink the tap water .

Has anyone heard of this before ? I generally buy a large bottle of water for my cabin every day but if this is the case on all ships, then I won't bother in future.

Hi Keith.

It comes out of the same taps that the restaurants use for their jugged water at lunch and dinner.

It's often better chilled in your cabin fridge - the taste that is.

On a cruise of more than 4 days I would certainly recommend buying a few mineral waters though. Good for the system.