Oceana is a fantastic ship! Highly recommended.

I've recently returned from a med cruise aboard the P&O Oceana and just wanted to share my fantastic experience!

This is the second time my family and I have sailed with P&O (previously on the Ventura) and this time we couldn't fault the ship, itinerary or staff. We liked that the ship is smaller than the Ventura (less busy, easier to get around and see everything). The cabins were also lovely, I slept like a baby! Although the décor could do with an upgrade.

The food was also great (try Café Jardin, it is worth the extra fee).

In terms of the itinerary, we started at Southampton which was great for a young family - no airport hassle and crying children on the airplane. Check in was also very smooth and quick.

We then stopped firstly at Madeira, then to La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote, and finally Lisbon.

Madeira was a beautiful place and really gave us a great start to our holiday. Beautiful weather and scenery!

Lisbon was also lovely although the port was very very busy - beware.

There was also plenty to do at sea including some good films and four pools to play in during the nicer weather.

If you're looking for a friendly ship look no further. All staff on board were very kind, and did all they could to ensure we had a great time (with 3 young kids we had thought it would be more stressful). Most people on board were British so we made some good friends on the first day, and dined with them for the rest of the week!

Overall 9/10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have not tried the Oceana yet but understand it is lovely and will certainly book a trip on her in the future. We like the Aurora and much prefer the smaller ships, the large ones like Azura and Ventura which we sailed on were like "Butlins on Sea" according to my partner!!   Smaller is certainly much better!

I agree Oceana is a great ship and always very friendly. I have sailed on Oceana three times since 2009, twice we cruised for two weeks in the Med and then this year in June we went on a mini cruise. Had a fabulous meal in the Horizon Grill. Oceana would definitely be a great ship for first time cruisers, especially those with families.

Oceana  is a fine ship and is now a favourite of many cruisers including myself.  Cruise experiences are influenced by the attitude of the Captain and the way they handle their staff around the ship which does show and makes for a happy ship but some are more passenger friendly than others.  I know which ones I prefer to sail under as they tend to be the younger generation and not always British. 

Sorry but have to disagree with you all - I was on Oceana last year with my family and my sister's family , my parents the year before and friends also last year and we were all disappointed with it - the food was a big let down and there was a vibration felt throughout the ship. (perhaps the refit has improved this.) The staff were ok - but our cabin steward never cleaned the balcony area in the 12 days we were on board. The swimming pools were constantly occupied by lots of kids jumping in so a proper swim was out of the question. Having been on Aurora before and since then there is no comparison - but as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

The old Adonia - sister ship to Oceana and now returned to Princess as Sea Princess - was our first P&O ship.  Since then we have been on Oceana 3 times and she is still our favourite ship.  We love the layout, have never felt any vibration in the ship at all.  We have been in aft minisuites and in an aft suite and both types of cabins are fantastic, with huge balconies.  We would go back on Oceana in an instant.

I, like CMorris also disagree with most of the opinions on the Oceana, my husband and I went to the Western Med end of August 2013, had no problem with the cabin which was kept very clean and the food in the main restaurant was, as usual for P&O, excellent, but the self service restaurant food was more often than not, cold, they ran out of food, coffee and teaspoons regularly and took ages to replace them.   We were on D deck and found the position of Café Jardin next to the Atrium meant that to get to our cabin we had either to go one deck up and walk down the stairs or go a deck below and walk up, we were told that we could walk through Café Jardin but we didn't like to do this  But the worse thing for me were the smells, not all over the ship but in certain places it smelt like the drains needed sorting out and was quite unpleasant.  I do think you always like your first ship best,which for us was the Arcadia, and also liked the Oriana.

I have to agree we enjoyed Oceana in the Caribbean, we sailed a few years ago for our honeymoon and its was probably still one of the best cruises we've had! The staff were fantastic and worked really hard, especially friendly in the 'Winner's Bar' where we tended to head for pre-dinner drinks each evening. The itinerary was of course fantastic, but the food, entertainment and most importantly the friendly passengers on board made it a wonderful experience. 

We have recently, last week, booked a Western Med. cruise on the Oceana for the end of November, I will be celebrating my 69 birthday whilst on board - we booked Getaway for the 1st time and have not been on her before so will let you know what it was like.

We have sailed on the old Artemis, Oriana and Arcadia and enjoy P&O very much and anyway - nobodies perfect - and being an old MN Engineer I think I know good from bad.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from a 12 night cruise on Oceana (Back to the 80s theme cruise) to Spain, Portugal and Gibralter and thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Due to a unexpected gap in our diaries, we booked a getaway fare 6 days before departure which represented excellent value for money for a balcony cabin.  It is a lovely ship with a stunning atrium.  We had no complaints about the staff, food or facilities. 

We have been on the Azura and Ventura (we got married on the Ventura in the Caribbean in 2011).  We personally prefer the bigger ships but would certainly not rule out cruising again on the Oceana in the future.