Forum Change....a Step Too Far?

New log in regime  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should members need to log in?

Hi Sammy

I can understand what you're saying but it's not really for those of us who are already registered.

It's for any potential new members who could be put off by the need to register.

As Duncan has said, if they are looking in and see a nice friendly forum with lots of good advice then the likely hood is they'll join.

That option has now been taken away for as far as can be seen no reason.

Whoops, double posted..sorry

I agree with Sammy & cannot see the problem with having to log in . Why compare this forum to others when this is Bolsovers Forum .

Here's the logic:

Assumption 1: A forum is only as good as it's members, so should aim to attract new members

Assumption 2: Non-members who find the forum might be put off if they can't see the existing contributions

Conclusion: Bolsover should allow people to view the forum without logging in (and therefore without being a member)

I think Assumption 1 is pretty safe - if a forum had no members it won't be as busy and there will be less stimulating conversation.  There will also be fewer people to answer questions for people who are looking for advice/information.  Bolsover's forum is getting better, but is still pretty quiet when compared to others.

I agree with Assumption 2 as I behave like this.  I'd need a damn good reason to hand over my details for a forum that may or may not be any good.  Being able to see what's going on makes the forum more appealing to potential new members who might find the pages though a web search (that's how I found my first cruising forum - it was helpful, so I joined!)

Hi Duncan

Thank you for that.

I think it's only fair to let members know that I have asked for this thread to be deleted/ locked as in no way was it my intention to stir up emotions in some the way this has.

I was quite happy after leaving last time to read only and now having been advised that I can read anonymously if I log in that is exactly what I will continue doing.

Sorry for any angst caused.

Hi Duncan

Thank you for that.

I think it's only fair to let members know that I have asked for this thread to be deleted/ locked as in no way was it my intention to stir up emotions in some the way this has.

I was quite happy after leaving last time to read only and now having been advised that I can read anonymously if I log in that is exactly what I will continue doing.

Sorry for any angst caused.

I hope Bolsover don't delete a forum this thread, as it's an important topic that should be discussed for the long-term health and development of what is a reasonably young forum.

Hopefully anyone who has an issue with the suggestions or anything that's been said can discuss like an adult as one would expect.

Edited by dst87

I agree Duncan, I hope it isn't deleted.  So far I think this forum has been excellent.  It's provided good advice, had good features and functions plus it's been managed effectively well by the admin team with requests by members being looked at and properly taken into consideration.  I expect the same to apply for this thread and think its a valuable topic of conversation.  

At the end of the day we're all entitled to our opinions, let's not argue and just enjoy some good conversation about cruising  :)

Sorry Terminator….  :)

Appreciated but not necessary. ..

I just hope that members realise my posts are in the best interest of the forum

We need to encourage new members and Duncan has done a brilliant job of explaining my reasoning

Far better than I ever could.

I seen other forums become sterile because there is no new blood on a regular basis and one of the problems is access being restricted to only those who register.

And I would hate this one to go the same way.

I currently can't "Quote" nor "paste" after upgrading to windows 8.1 but I think it is extremely poor judgement that someone asked for this thread to be deleted. We are all adults and as the Administrators are asking members to vote it is also quite right that members discuss the subject.

cheers

Harvey

Appreciated but not necessary. ..

I just hope that members realise my posts are in the best interest of the forum

We need to encourage new members and Duncan has done a brilliant job of explaining my reasoning

Far better than I ever could.

I seen other forums become sterile because there is no new blood on a regular basis and one of the problems is access being restricted to only those who register.

And I would hate this one to go the same way.

(I've changed from IE to Google Chrome and can now "Quote" again.)

I'm sorry Terminator but I just can't see why asking for this thread to deleted is "in the best interest of the forum".

cheers

Harvey

Good Evening Harvey.

I instigated this thread and later for reasons already explained asked for it to be closed/deleted.

Other members have since agreed that it's a valid point that I'm making and should be debated and to allow them their opinion.

I hope never to be put in a position where I would request for another members thread to be closed.

Harvey,

Fear not I have the same problem since upgrading to Windows 8.1 could I ask if you solve the issue could you let me know as I am no computer expert, quite right we are all Adult's. ;) Ron

Ron - I've sent you a PM re Google Chrome/Internet Explorer. Harvey

Good Evening Harvey.

I instigated this thread and later for reasons already explained asked for it to be closed/deleted.

Other members have since agreed that it's a valid point that I'm making and should be debated and to allow them their opinion.

I hope never to be put in a position where I would request for another members thread to be closed.

Good evening to you Terminator.

Whilst I appreciate your view I strongly disagree with it. As adults - this should not be an issue. People don't always agree but surely different points of view can be aired. By all means ask for a 'post' which you deem inappropriate/offensive to be deleted but not the thread.

cheers

Harvey 

• 2 weeks later...

My friends who now refuse to cruise due to the no smoking ban was interested to see what gazatgaz had written and I told them to register on the forum but because they couldn't just have a look I ended up copying it into an email. So it seems to be swings and roundabouts whether someone should be able to have a look without logging in.

To be honest I couldn't see why they couldn't just register….  :rolleyes:

Guest Solent Richard

I don't mind either way, it's a great forum how ever bolsover decide to run it.

X

And exactly as it should be accepted.

I fully endorse your comment CruiseGeek.

(that's twice in the space of 20 minutes  ;) )