Tables For Two

Guest Solent Richard

We agree with Kerry304 always ask for 2nd sitting and table for 8. Never had bad table companions & we keep in touch with some of them. If  so  happens to be a couple on your table that are a little above their station, their is still 4 good people to enjoy dinner with. We have breakfast & lunch in buffet.

• 5 months later...
Guest Solent Richard

I was always told never talk Politic and religion, but now its both of those and 'how much I paid for a cruise' lol   :D

Funnily enough I have never had any size of table where the subject of 'what one paid' was raised.

I've always assumed it was one of the cruising myths.

Guest shilly3191

Done over 30 cruises with 3 different cruise lines and never once been asked how much I have paid for a cruise, I have had one or two bragging about how cheap they got there's but on one occasion sat with a wry smile on my face because I knew different. ;)

• 3 months later...

We prefer a table for 2. Not because we don't enjoy chatting to other passengers, because we do,,But we have had occasions on an '8' where  we have had to wait ages for the next course because of a fellow diner who talks endlessly between each forkful..Not even the sight of 7 people all sat waiting could make him hurry up.

For an increasing number of cruisers I think the archaic and anachronistic club dining no longer has any appeal and a table for two is much the preferred option. There will always be those who enjoy dining in company, so there will always be a demand for club dining, but I suspect this is a diminishing group. I therefore feel it is now time to significantly increase the number of tables for two and reduce the number of larger tables. Due to our busy lives we need and enjoy our time together on holiday and therefore our preference is naturally for a table for two. However, due to work etc etc we are usually able to book only three or four months in advance when the tables for two have already been booked, in which case we have chosen freedom / select dining and requested a table for two on arrival at the restaurant each evening. There have however been cruises where club dining was the only option and I can only describe the experience as tedious. No matter how nice our table companions (and we have had some very nice fellow diners) we are, in fact, not really interested in how may cruises they have been on, what they think of each of the cruise lines, where they have been, where they live, what they do for a living, how many children / grandchildren they have, what they did and what they bought when they went ashore etc etc etc.

We enjoy the ambience, service and menus in the MDR for our evening meal so the buffet restaurant hasn't been an alternative for us when we have been on club dining, although we do like to dine in the speciality restaurants where a table for two can be guaranteed.

When we take our land-based holidays we always have a table for two. When we go out to a restaurant from home we always have a table for two. There is never a suggestion, expectation or requirement for sharing a table in those situations so why is club dining still such a big part of dining on some cruise ships. 

Time for a change and more tables for two ? Yes, I think so.

Guest shilly3191

For an increasing number of cruisers I think the archaic and anachronistic club dining no longer has any appeal and a table for two is much the preferred option. There will always be those who enjoy dining in company, so there will always be a demand for club dining, but I suspect this is a diminishing group. I therefore feel it is now time to significantly increase the number of tables for two and reduce the number of larger tables. Due to our busy lives we need and enjoy our time together on holiday and therefore our preference is naturally for a table for two. However, due to work etc etc we are usually able to book only three or four months in advance when the tables for two have already been booked, in which case we have chosen freedom / select dining and requested a table for two on arrival at the restaurant each evening. There have however been cruises where club dining was the only option and I can only describe the experience as tedious. No matter how nice our table companions (and we have had some very nice fellow diners) we are, in fact, not really interested in how may cruises they have been on, what they think of each of the cruise lines, where they have been, where they live, what they do for a living, how many children / grandchildren they have, what they did and what they bought when they went ashore etc etc etc.

We enjoy the ambience, service and menus in the MDR for our evening meal so the buffet restaurant hasn't been an alternative for us when we have been on club dining, although we do like to dine in the speciality restaurants where a table for two can be guaranteed.

When we take our land-based holidays we always have a table for two. When we go out to a restaurant from home we always have a table for two. There is never a suggestion, expectation or requirement for sharing a table in those situations so why is club dining still such a big part of dining on some cruise ships. 

Time for a change and more tables for two ? Yes, I think so.

Your ideas are very good theoretically but very much doubt it could be put into practice the main reason is if they ripped out all the tables in the restaurants and then only fitted tables for two they wouldnt get anywhere near as many people in the dining room for club dining so that creates a problem where do they all go. Another thing is I should imagine it is quicker for a waiter and his assistant to serve a table for 8 at one time than it would be for 4 different tables for 2 so therefore more staff would be needed and then the price of the cruise increases. If it is so important to dine at a table for 2 choose freedom/anytime or freestlye most ships now offer this service.

I agree wholeheartedly with Shillys comments.As stated think how much longer it would take to serve tables for two as opposed to larger tables.

Also people do like bigger tables as they like different company we have had very good table companions, and we have had varied conversations with people from different parts of the country.

We think larger tables are as popular as ever long may they stay.wink.png